Hastings United late winner denies VCD Athletic fightback

Sharing is caring!

Hastings United late winner denies VCD Athletic fightback

United centre-forward Ben Pope scored with an 84th minute header to deprive VCD Athletic a
surprise result against the league-leaders. Craig Stone’s fifth goal of the season and a Pope penalty
had given United a comfortable half-time lead. VCD then took advantage of a wind-affected
clearance to reduce the deficit, hauled themselves level and then did their upmost to win the game
or at the very least deny United the victory.

The ‘U’s kicked-off on a dry, cold and bright day, but with a deceptively strong breeze. Within
minutes Pope released Jarod Aboagye whose low cross from the by-line was blocked for a corner.
After this was cleared a long Ollie Black throw was inadvertently flicked on by a defender’s head and
slipped past the far post with goalkeeper, Ben Hunter, scrambling.

VCD, who had not scored a goal in the last three games, came as close as they could just a minute
later. A free-kick from wide on the right swirled in the wind and Stone headed against his own post.
The resulting corner was only half cleared, swung back in and met by a venomous header, from just
three yards out, which produced a brilliant point-blank reaction save by Louis Rogers. His parry was
cleared off the line before any VCD player could get a finishing touch.

Sam Adams and Jack Dixon attempted ambitious shots from distance which were both directed
straight at Hunter before United took the lead on twenty-two minutes. A free-kick floated in from
the left was retrieved by Dixon who crossed to the far post. Pope’s header was clawed out by
Hunter with the rebound fired into the bottom corner by Stone.

Four minutes later Daniel Ajakaiye won a race down the left against Bradley Simms. Somehow, he
kept the ball alive on the by-line and fed Lanre Azeez who was tripped from behind to win a penalty.
No complaints from any of the VCD players. Pope stepped up and blasted into the roof of the net to
double the lead.

Not yet satisfied United set about chasing a third goal. Pope’s header was grabbed from underneath
his crossbar by Hunter, Aboagye fired over left-footed and then Ajakaiye collected Hunter’s scuffed
clearance and volleyed just over the bar. The ‘U’s headed to the dressing room having to be content
with a two-goal cushion.

Half-time: Hastings United 2 – 0 VCD Athletic

United began the second-half where they’d left off. Stone’s pass down the right allowed Pope to nip
in ahead of the centre-half and though his cross bypassed Dixon it landed with Ajakaiye. His shot
was saved, and Pope’s follow-up cleared off the line before the assistant’s flag brought a halt to the

VCD though were not willing to simply make up the numbers and served notice to United they were
far from out of the game. A Jack Steventon long throw was headed out to the edge of the area from
where Bode Anidugbe hit a powerful shot the wrong side of the post.

And just one minute later they were definitely back in the game. A long clearance held up in the
wind and Stone’s clearing header lacked distance. The ball landed at the feet of Anidugbe, he
spotted Rogers off his line and subtly lofted into the net from twenty-five yards.

Aboagye set about restoring United’s two goal advantage with barnstorming runs which both
resulted in corners. But it was VCD who claimed the next goal. Another long throw by Steventon

was partially cleared back to him and the returning cross was nodded in by Ayman El-Mogharbel
from six yards. The visitors level.

For fifteen minutes both teams swapped possession in pursuit of a third goal. The closest
opportunity for United was Dixon’s twenty-yard shot deflected for a corner after he was teed-up by

And for VCD, Ali Fuseini picked up a clearance in his own half, sprinted forward, broke through a
tackle and hit a shot for which Rogers had to leap high to tip over the bar. The resulting corner
started with a cross, had a mad scramble in the middle and ended with a shot narrowly wide.

Ten minutes to go. An Adams free-kick caught in the wind and struggled to make the area, from
which United’s captain learned. With six minutes remaining his next free-kick was drilled across with
a flatter trajectory, avoiding the breeze, and met firmly by Pope’s head who steered the ball expertly
into the bottom corner to restore United’s lead. Great header from Pope and credit to Adams for
adjusting his technique.

VCD pushed for another equaliser but wasted three free-kicks. Then in the last minute of added-
time Pope had the chance to seal it and earn himself the match-ball. Sam Beale’s long clearance was
cleverly flicked on by Warren Mfula. Pope sped the wrong side of the centre-half and curled a shot
toward the bottom corner but narrowly wide. The full-time whistle followed, and the points were

Full-time: Hastings United 3 – 2 VCD Athletic

Man of the Match: Ben Pope, scored his eighteenth and nineteenth of the season, and also his fifth
in five games. Once more he superbly led the line with strength and courage and was only a foot
away from a hat-trick.

Overall this was yet another team gunning for the league leaders and almost taking a point. But this
is a United team who dig deep and keep going to the end.

Hastings United: Rogers, Black, Aboagye, Elphick (81’ Beale), Stone, Ajakaiye (74’ Mfula), Pope,
Adams, Pool, Azeez (74’ Elliott), Dixon (Unused subs: Pogue, Worrall)

VCD Athletic: Hunter, Simms, Brown, Monger (83’ Gaggin), Hylton-Bartley, Steventon, El-Mogharbel
(90’ Sargent), Anidugbe, Fuseini, Eweka (80’ Ikeije), Mendy (Unused subs: McKenzie, MacDonald)

Attendance: 672

Next game: Tuesday 4th February away to Whitehawk, kick-off 7:45pm.
Bob Quinn
Twitter: @BobJQuinn